'antique' bar set needs repair

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

elmoe
Newcomer
Newcomer

'antique' bar set needs repair

Post by elmoe »

Hi Everyone:
I am new here and glad to join your forum. What brings me here today is that we recently inherited an at least 70 year old parlor bar. don't know what the true technical name is, but it looks similar in shape to a small dresser, with fake drawers on the top and cabinet on the bottom to hold liquor. The dimensions are approx 4' high by 2 feet long and about 18 inches deep. the top opens up like a book and reveals a complete bar set, with various size glasses and slots for the glasses, all still there, and other bar utensils appropriate for serving liquor in your living room or parlor. It is of a somewhat classic (not rustic) style of a dark mahogany finish. Unfortunately the top was ruined from water damage. Really badly ruined where you can see the top is actually veneer, and is puckered, finish gone and chips missing. The rest of the piece is in fair shape that could probably be spiffed up with a new wax or finish as the wood is intact...no gouges or scratches but some finish seems to be lightly peeling off and some mold spots present but they seem to come off when wiped away.
My question is: can such a piece be fixed so it can get a new top? Is such an antique parlor bar of any value besides sentimental?
Thank you all for reading my post.
Elmoe