What to do next?

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Thatgirl153
Newcomer
Newcomer

What to do next?

Post by Thatgirl153 »

This Mahogany cabinet top needs restoring. For sake of ease I tried restore-a-finish in the Mahogany color. The top is marginally better but definitely still needs work. Can I stain over top of the RAF? Should I try a darker color of RAF? I cannot move this cabinet out of my kitchen unless I wait til spring. Would like an easy solution for now. Thanks.
Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: What to do next?

Post by Bob Boardman »

You could try a darker shade of RAF - that would be easiest.

If results aren't satisfactory, you probably have a lacquer finish (possibly what is often called a "varnish" finish). I'd test to see if this is a lacquer finish. (there are numerous posts on this site telling you how).
- If it's lacquer you have more options, but you should test a water base lacquer to see how well it adheres to existing finish. If no problems, then get WB lacquer and go online to find a dye thats compatible with WB Lacquer. You can add the dye (any shade you like) to the lacquer and apply
- If it's 'varnish' or poly, you'll probably have to strip old finish off

If you use WB (water base) stain on top of an old stain without testing compatiblity, you probably won't have good results
Bob "Boardman" Borders