Unknown stains & how to complete restoration project

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Kerrynd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Unknown stains & how to complete restoration project

Post by Kerrynd »

Hi,

I am stripping paint from a Heywood Wakefield surfboard side table and now see stains that were hidden by the paint. Any suggestions on how to remove the stains? The wood is not raised and there is no other damage that I can see.
Surfboard side table.jpg
Surfboard side table.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Thank you,
Kerry
Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Unknown stains & how to complete restoration project

Post by Bob Boardman »

I believe that these are dye stains. When dye is applied it often seeps into the wood. You'll probably have to bleach out the stains. Oxalic Acid is the bleach to use, but it is powerful. Please read about Oxalic acid and how to use it, safety precautions, etc.

Ordinary laundry bleach won't thoroughly remove stains, but you can test it on a small area
Bob "Boardman" Borders
Kerrynd
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kerrynd »

Thank you, I’ll look into it.
petroben
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by petroben »

Hi Kerry,

To remove stains from your Heywood Wakefield surfboard side table after stripping the paint, you can try the following steps:

Sand the Stained Area: Use a fine-grit sandpaper to gently sand the stained area. This may help to remove some of the surface staining without damaging the wood.

Bleach Solution: If sanding doesn't fully remove the stains, you can try a diluted bleach solution. Mix a small amount of household bleach with water (about 1:10 ratio). Apply the solution to the stained area with a cloth or sponge. Be sure to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area. After applying, rinse with water and dry the area thoroughly.

Wood Bleach: If the stains persist, you can use a wood bleach specifically designed for removing stains from wood. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application and safety precautions.

Stain or Refinish: If the stains are still visible after trying the above methods, you may need to consider restaining or refinishing the entire surface of the table. This will help ensure a consistent appearance.

Remember to test any cleaning or bleaching solution on an inconspicuous area of the table first to make sure it doesn't cause any unwanted damage or discoloration. Good luck with your restoration project!

Best regards,
[petroben]
petroben