Rosewood help.

Have a questions on finishing, refinishing, or restoring <br />wood furniture or cabinetry? This is the place to ask!

Moderators: AsonnyA, Bob Boardman

Al33
Newcomer
Newcomer

Rosewood help.

Post by Al33 »

Hello again. Rejoined the forum after years of inactivity. I'm in need of some advice on a mid century Brazilian rosewood drop down table. It's from Norway, a Bendt Winge piece made by Kleppe in Norway. A family member bought the table and chairs ( made in Sweden) in 1973.

I have some experience restoring but not on something worth as much as this table sells for. The table was stored for years in partial sunlight somewhat covered. The areas not covered, along the edge of the table top, has faded. Looks like it will need a complete restoration. The table top edge has banding so pretty sure veneer. The legs are bent wood, possibly teak.
Any advice on working with rosewood?
Bob Boardman
Refinish/Repair Wiz
Refinish/Repair Wiz

Re: Rosewood help.

Post by Bob Boardman »

Few quick thoughts.
Not an expert on Rosewood, but:
A) You'll have to use stripper to remove finish/stain from areas that haven't faded. Test on a small spot first. You don't want to cause veneer glue to loosen. Since its veneer, be very careful when doing any sanding.
B) Once all stripper removed, you'll have to bleach the entire surface to get to a clean, consistent surface. It may take 2 or 3 attempts.
C) Before attempting any stain or dye, apply a diluted coat of Sealcoat to surface. 1 to 1 mix Sealcoat and den alcohol
D) Test your stain/dye on a small area 4" by 4". Let sit for 5 -10 minutes and see if it's shade you want. If not, remove immediately with water or paint thinner depending an whether using water base or oil base. Repeat this step until you get close to shade you want.

Let us know ressults up to this point
Bob "Boardman" Borders
Al33
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Al33 »

Hello Bob, thanks for the reply.

I removed the table top a few days ago. It's on hold for awhile after finding a severely warped board on the base. Thought the base would just be a finish clean and fresh oil job. This could turn into a major woodworking project. The base legs are bentwood, the bad board is part of what I think is called the gates ( gate leg base).

I have the warped board removed and will be stripping the finish, stain or dye today. If I can not ID the wood and match it I will be looking at making 12 new parts instead of one. Tested a spot with solvents and stripper yesterday, lacquer finish and dye.
Al33
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Al33 »

Just an update on the warped board. Pretty sure it's European Beech. Data on this wood says it's a good wood for steam bending. This board will not straighten so the search for Beech begins.